What is the best way to stop Shaytaan whispers reminding you of your past?
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh
Thank you for your question.
May Allah protect one and all from Shaytan, the devil.
Our recommendations are as follows:
• Try to remain positive and understand that Allāh’s Mercy, Compassion and Kindness are endless.
• Do not follow up the evil thoughts. Busy your mind with positive and better thoughts. Keep busy so you do not have time to think about the past.
• Recite أَعُوذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ excessively.
• Be punctual in doing dhikr and reciting Qur’ān.
• Try to remain in wudū at all times.
• Avoid too much loneliness and seclusion. Remain in the company of positive, motivated and religious friends and relatives.
• Know that you will not be punished for random or evil thoughts that enter the mind.
And Allah knows best.
Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
Hadith of the Day Imam
Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute