What Actions During a Prayer Nullify it?
Answered by Shaykh Yūsuf Badāt
Does looking at a dog during formal prayer invalidate my ṣalāh?
In the Name of God, Most Merciful, Most Kind.
Thank you/ Jazāk Allāh Khayr for contact Mathabah with your question.
Seeing a dog during ṣalāh (ritual prayer) does not invalidate the prayer. For your convenience, please see list below of the things that would actualy nullify the formal prayer:
- To deliberately break the wuḍū (ritual ablution).
- To break the wuḍū and then not rejoin the prayer through bināʿ with all its conditions.
- To speak deliberately or forgetfully.
- To articulate something that resembles human speech or similar to speech, such as saying “aah”, “oh” or “uff”.
- Blowing to the extent where a sound is heard.
- To cough or clear the throat unnecessarily.
- To cry or express agony for something not connected to the prayer or it’s recitation.
- To reply to someone sneezing, greeting or speaking.
- To accept a correction in recitation from someone who is not in the prayer or is offering another prayer.
- To make a grave error in recitation of the Qurʾān.
- To recite the Qurʾān by looking into the Qurʾān (according to Ḥanafī position).
- To laugh aloud during ṣalāh.
- To turn the chest away from the Qibla (prayer direction).
- The body area that is to be covered is exposed.
- Excessive movement that is not considered an action of the prayer, without necessity.
- A non-maḥram woman standing next to a man joined in the very same ritual prayer.
- Eating or drinking.
(Source: Al-Badāiʾ Al-Ṣanāiʾ)
Source: brought to you by Mathabah, read more here.
Since You’re Here… we have a small favour to ask.
In these extraordinary times, millions rely on HOTD for daily uplifting & inspiring content. Established since 2009 and with your kind support we’ve seen readers elevate their Imaan & strive for better on a daily basis. We’re committed to keeping our content freely available and open for all readers. Every contribution, however big or small, makes a difference and help us spread knowledge to millions daily
HOTD is something special, it’s a place where people can come to be inspired, to renew their faith, to learn and share knowledge, to fall in love with our faith and also our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him and his family).
All content on HOTD is free. We believe what we do in this life builds for the next one and we work tirelessly with the aim to please Allah and inspire the global Muslim community as
well as providing information and inspiration for anyone interested in Islam. We simply cannot do this without your support and your support helps us continue our services.
If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. You can support HOTD and help sustain our future. Support Hadith of the Day and make a one-off donation or give regularly from as little as £10 a month Jazak’Allah Khayr – whatever you donate will come back to benefit you Insha’Allah as whatever is spent in the way of Allah is an investment in the future and the next life. Thank you.