Please explain the features and the series of events of the appearance of Dajjal (antichrist) in detail.
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh
Thank you for your question.
The Dajjal or the Anti-Christ is a major sign leading up to the day of Judgement.
Some of the pertinent points regarding the Dajjal, his emergence and his demise are as follows:
• Imam Mahdi will have appeared before Dajjal’s arrival
• A great famine for three years will be in place prior to Dajjal’s emergence.
• Religious learning and practice will be at a low, ignorance will be rampant.
• Some wars will take place around the time of Dajjal’s coming.
• Dajjal will emerge from the east and will travel at a quick pace from city to city covering almost the entire world. He will not be able to enter Makkah and Madinah.
• The Dajjal will perform unusual feats and cause corruption and chaos whereever he goes.
• The Dajjal is described as a young, obese man, brown in complexion with a broad chest. He will have curly hair. “ka fa ra’ will be written on his forehead. Both eyes are defective. The left eye has a swelled pupil while he is blind from the right eye. He will walk briskly. He will have no offspring. He will [make a false] claim [of] prophet-hood thereafter being God.
• Finally the Prophet ‘Isa (Jesus) – peace be upon him – will descend, confront the Dajjal and destroy him.
And Allah knows best.
Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
Hadith of the Day Imam
Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute